Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Hampi : I finally made it

(Writing from Bangalore)

This is my 3rd visit to Bangalore and this time I had made it to Hampi. Standing by the famed stone chariot at the Vittala temple complex, I said to me ‘this is why come all the way’. Among all the ruins in Hampi scattered over 25 sq km, what I really wanted to see were the Hampi Chariot. If you have read Indian history (I believe most of us did at least in school), then you probably had seen a photo of the Hampi chariot. There also is an old 5 paise postage stamp issued on this. This is a piece of history. My wish of being able to see it had fulfilled.

It was a real hectic trip. I started at 9 pm on Saturday from Bangalore and reached Hampi at 8 am next day. Hiring an auto, I could complete the sight seeing by 1 pm. I had seen almost all important monuments during this time frame. I also enjoyed a brief coracle boat ride on the Tungavadra. With the sightseeing trip ending well before I had expected, I boarded a bus back to Bangalore by 3 pm of Sunday and was back at Bangalore by 12 midnight. Thus in about 27 hours, I had traveled nearly 800 km by road. Yet the satisfaction of being able to see Hampi took away major part of the tiredness of such an arduous trip.

I will be putting up the details once I am back in Delhi.

7 comments:

Ravi Kumar said...

Yes I remember reading about Hampi in school. I will put that in my list as well. Thanks.

Thanks for leaving your comment in my blog. I have added your blog link to my site and waiting for you to reciprocate. Thanks :)

Anita said...

A fascinating place for me - both in terms of photography and writing. But I would recommend at least a few days to soak in the atmosphere that is unique to this place. Went a few months ago and I am planning to go back there sometime in November!

Anonymous said...

thnx for sharing..

izmir evden eve

www.izmirevdeneve.com

info@izmirevdeneve.com

Anonymous said...

thanks..
info@olimpiyatreklam.com

Anonymous said...

thanks..

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I was reading ur blog posts and found some of them to be very good.. u write well.. Why don't you popularize it more.. ur posts on ur blog ‘India Travel Diary’ took my particular attention as some of them are interesting topics of mine too;

BTW I help out some ex-IIMA guys who with another batch mate run www.rambhai.com where you can post links to your most loved blog-posts. Rambhai was the chaiwala at IIMA and it is a site where users can themselves share links to blog posts etc and other can find and vote on them. The best make it to the homepage!

This way you can reach out to rambhai readers some of whom could become your ardent fans.. who knows.. :)

Cheers,

Rupali said...

Its nice to read aboutIndia, it is really beautiful to be there and as we know it is one of the famous business city still it has lots of marvelous sceneries, Gingerlist.com is one of the best website which suggesting more about the city/country. We can Find Local Restaurant Guides, Travel Destinations and Low Budget Hotels of Indian cities on Gingerlist.com! Gingerlist.com is a Local Business Guide that helps you find the best and the most trusted businesses in your area and around the world.